- Mr. Maharaja Kaushik- the coach of Women's Hockey Team has been accused of sexually harassing the players.
- 3 minor girls get raped and killed in Nehru Nagar- Kurla, Mumbai
- A recent survey stated that Delhi is considered to be the most unsafe place in India for Women. Around 85% women said that they do not feel safe in Delhi. Goa is also considered unsafe by foreign tourists.
Welcome friends, welcome to a Nation where women are considered nothing less than a Sex object.
Welcome to a nation, where on one hand a women is called the Lakshmi of the house (obviously, it is she who brings Gold and money to your home in the form of dowry) and on the other she is treated as a burden to the family (Because in India it is the responsibility of a girl's father to conduct a marriage at their expense).
Pardon me for this nonsensical rant, but could not stop myself from ranting.
Today as I flipped through the pages of a newspaper, I found more than half of the newspaper carrying stories about Rapes, Sexual Harassments and Molestation. Tired, I switched on the TV and was greeted by the same Rape, Sexual Harassment stories. I switched off the TV and sat on the veranda only to find an uncle residing in the opposite building slapping his wife black and blue. It was a sick sight to watch. We complained to the Cops for the nth time, who took him to the station for the nth time and sent him back for the nth time because his loyal wife is scared to complain against him.
India is a nation of diversity, and not just languages and culture; even the treatment meted out towards women in different parts of the country proves this.
So while a girl child is welcomed as Lakshmi or Durga in West Bengal or Southern States, a girl born in Punjab or Haryana is considered to be a huge burden to the family and is often killed after birth. Often, the mother who has given birth to a girl child is sent back home as though she has committed a crime. The father of the child seldom realizes that it is his chromosomes that determine the sex of the child. So shouldn't he be punished for committing this heinous crime.
Obviously, I have no answers to my questions but yes I do have some wishes that I hope gets fulfilled some day:
I hope that the honorable Judiciary System takes a note of the crimes meted out towards women and make the laws more stringent.
- I hope that girls stop bowing down to the atrocities meted out to them. Set an Example by saying a FIRM NO to something which is against your wish. It could be forced sex, forced marriage anything.
- I hope that the government does something about protecting the women. Sheila Dixit are you listening?
- I hope that every family treats women as equal and treat them with respect.
- I hope that the media does not make such stories a fodder to fill their space and time. It's good to inform people but definitely not good to harp over it.
- But most importantly, I hope that Women do not keep quiet and learn to fight for themselves.