We all wear lipstick under the burkha

There are many types of movies, some that inspire us, some that we can watch repeatedly, some that we want to forget, and some that are so relatable that you identify yourself or the people you know with the characters in the movie.

Lipstick under my burkha was one such relatable film. I could identify so many people in my life and relate them with the characters in the movie.

 I know a woman who's husband doesn't allow her to work because her job is only to raise their child and cook for him. Thankfully she is not subjected to marital rape like Shirin Aslam. But she is not loved either.

I know a rebellious girl like Rehana Abidi who grew in a strict tam bhram household. Her mom was so strict that she never allowed the girl to wax her arms and legs. The girl saved all her pocket money just to buy the waxing​ kit. She had to make an elaborate plan of going to a chemist situated 2 kms away from her house. Because what if the local chemist​ guy tells the mother about the daughter's 'criminal' activity? She loved dance so much that she participated in dance competition and came home late under the pretext of extra classes.

I know a girl similar to Leela who was in a seemingly happy marriage but briefly fell for a younger man who made her feel young and beautiful. 

I have never come across an old, repressed woman like ushaji who found solace in erotic novels. But the success of books like 50 shades of grey is a testimony to​ this fact that many women live their fantasies through the characters of these books.

Lipstick under my burkha is not just about sex as the trailer and media makes it to be. Yes, it is a part of the movie, but it is more about how women have to suppress themselves in the society and lead secret lives to fulfill their dreams. You can't express yourself, because if you do, you are trolled and called characterless. And if you are old, you have no right to dream because ram Naam japne ka samay Hai, ashleel sapne dekhne ka nahi.

I don't want to give out the story, because I want you to watch it. I'm sure you will relate to it, even if you don't live in Bhopal or don't face problems like these characters.

P.S.: some people complain that the movie was not about women empowerment. I guess the story was about a normal woman's desire and dreams. It was about how she leads a dual life - one according to the society and one according to her rules. It was not meant to show a woman turning into a Superwoman and fighting patriarchy, because in reality most of us don't do that. We take the easier route of leading the dual life.

Ssshhhh it's a secret!!!

8 comments:

Ingenuous said...

Superb!! So very agree to it... We all have parts of Shirin, Usha, Rehana and Leela in us... all are lipsticks are crushed under the burka called societal norms.. But still we find a secret dour to ex0lore... loved this movie...

sana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ankita said...

nice review! I know such women too and marital rape is an ugly reality, it is far more common than we assume it to be. Such amazing movies utilize cinema to the fullest and change perceptions. I will watch it asap too :)

gayathri vishwanathan said...

Sana, I didn't know this part of your story. But yes, I know you as a no nonsense rebellious girl :). I'm so glad that your husband and in laws understand you and support your dreams. Kudos to them and you of course :-). I really wish all your dreams are fulfilled.

gayathri vishwanathan said...

Very true. We all have some or the other traits of these characters. That's why we could relate so much with the movie. I liked this too.

gayathri vishwanathan said...

Thanks Ankita. Marital rape is such an ignored topic. I'm glad the director raised it in the film. Please do watch the film soon I am sure you will like it.

sana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.